Saturday, May 23, 2009

What do you do with all those fur Balls?

Have you heard of Recycling your pets fur? So take all of that fur floating around in your house and make something out of it. There are many companies you can send it off to and they will spin it into yarn and make it into a useful item. Find all the information by CLICKING HERE.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Doggie No No

I received this in an email and thought I would share it on my BLOG:

If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
this and send it on. If you don't

have a dog, please pass along
to friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin

toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was
a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix
that ate half a canister of raisins sometime
between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't
call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND

grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't
seen any formal paper on the subject. We
had her bring the dog in immediately. In the
meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,
and the doctor there was like me - had heard
something about it, but ... Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
Control Center and they said to give IV fluids
at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the
kidney values for the next 48-72 hours..

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was

already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).
Both are monitors of kidney function in the
bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values
at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine
over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute
renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight
as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet

and his renal values have continued to increase
daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting
medications and they still couldn't control his
vomiting.. Today his urine output decreased
again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was
at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his
blood pressure, which had been staying around
150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit
and the owners elected to?Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners

who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please
alert everyone you know who has a dog of this
very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could
be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes
or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any
exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can
be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends

who do. This is worth passing on to them

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dodge is going to have her Surgery

Dodge is Scheduled for April 3rd to have her Surgery. So no chance of her ever having babies.
It sounds so sad, but it is sadder to think about all of those animals in shelters
with no homes.

Low Cost or Free Spay and Neuter Programs for your Pets

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Monday, March 2, 2009

Is your Dog a Power Chewer?

My dog Rosco has a jaw of steel and can really chew almost any dog toy made. So what do you do? Well there are Dog Toys available for Power Chewers on the market. Some dog toys are made for tough for power chewers and I have found some that Rosco has not been able to destroy. One of my favorites is the Jolly Pet Teaser Ball. I have made a page featuring the best TOUGH Dog toys. So check it out by CLICKING HERE.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why is Bailey Guilty?

Bailey thought she got away with eating Cat Tootsie Rolls - all comfy on the couch looking guilty, but not realizing her nose tells all.